Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Re: Remove GnomeMeeting from Gnome module list?

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:13:02 +0000
Mark McLoughlin <markmc redhat com> wrote:

..deleted

> > It is always a bit hard. I'm currently working on SIP support, I hope it
> > will be ready for GNOME 2.12 for example, but I'm not sure it will be.
> > It is always a bit hard to determine such things when you are doing
> > heavy changes. I also do rely on external libraries like pwlib/openh323
> > which are doing their best to be in sync with GnomeMeeting releases, but
> > that is not always possible either.
>
> 	So, I think what's more important to us is not that modules make a
> release for each GNOME release, but that if they are being actively
> developed then they make a release. The philosophy is very much that the
> GNOME schedule should not be feature based, but time based. If some
> GnomeMeeting features weren't ready for GNOME 2.8, I would have expected
> those features to be disabled, the rest of the work stabilised and a
> release made for GNOME 2.8.
>
> 	The external library issue is hard - I don't know how you deal with
> that. Maybe not use any new APIs from that library until a somewhat
> stable release of those new APIs have been made?

I'm the maintainer of the OpenH323 and OPAL libraries that are used by
GnomeMeeting, so I feel I can contribute here.

OpenH323 and OPAL are not part of the Gnome project, and never will be
because it does not make sense. Our release schedule is driven by many
factors, such as specific functionality milestones, availability of time,
and the timing of contributions from external developers, but it is
unlikely that we would be in sync with the Gnome schedule.

Having said this, we have tried very hard to support Damien by making
stable releases of the libraries available so Damien can meet the Gnome
release schedule. This has required a great deal of work from both of
our projects, and we are still trying to find a way to do this that
works properly.

I find it remarkable that Damien's efforts in this area could be seen as
anything less than heroic, and I am very disappointed that anyone could
find anything to criticise in his results to date.

If being an official Gnome module means that GnomeMeeting (and all of
it's downstream components) must sychronise their release schedule with
the "official" Gnome schedule in order to keep everyone happy, then I
support Damien 110% if he wants to remove GM from the official Gnome
module list. But I would hope this would not be necessary.

   Craig

 Craig Southeren      craigs postincrement com / craigs voxgratia org

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243673140      MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com
 Mobile: +61 417231046   Jabber: craigs jabber voxgratia org

 Post Increment - Consulting & Services    http://www.postincrement.com
 Vox Gratia - The Open Source VoIP portal  http://www.voxgratia.org
 Raving Of A Strange Mind - the VoIP blog  http://www.southeren.com/blog