Re: Proposed Modules, My Take

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 19:04 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 12:29 -0500, Bryan Clark wrote:
> >
> > >  * gnome-user-share
> >
> > I still don't really understand the controversial apache thing but I
> > just use the system I don't really watch to make sure it uses only
> > "desktop" applications and not "server" applications. ;-)  The end
> > user effect of this app seems like exactly what we want while the
> > apache code is tested, secure, and heavily maintained by someone else;
> > maybe it's just me. The system should get integration from the
> > nautilus-send-to side so perhaps we should wait to include both next
> > time?
>
> I don't understand what integrating gnome-user-share with
> nautilus-send-to means exactly, or how it would change gnome-user-share.

You're right I guess it doesn't change gnome-user-share really.  Looking
back over the email I think this was a discussion at work with Seth and
not what happened in the previous threads.  But the desired change for
g-u-s seems to be a right-click [x] Share File/Folder option with the
~/Public folder at the same time where ~/Public also shows the
files/folders that are currently being shared.  That would give the
option to drop files in the ~/Public directory or [de]activating the
sharing of them from anywhere in nautilus.  This has some complications
for the files that are dropped in the ~/Public directory and then the
user wishes to right click on them and un-check [ ] Share File.  The
dragged files just need to remember where they came from and then can be
returned to that original directory.

> I know some people wanted to drop the gnome-user-share directory model
> totally in favour of a "send file to this person/machine" model. But
> that is totally blue-sky, since we have no real backend for that (apart
> from email/im), and that models has issues of its own.

I agree, I would rather see g-u-s as a solution of something that works
and fix some of the last bits as described above.

> I doubt the situation will be different wrt gnome-user-share in gnome
> 2.12 (except that we might have a solution to the folder translation
> issue), so I don't see what punting it for now gives us (unless its
> especially due to the translation issue). Either its a model Gnome
> thinks is right, or its not.

I don't know that the send/receive model is the most correct, and this
is a very simple and highly compatible method to have.  As you said the
email/im send/receive models have lots of problems tied to them.

So I suppose thinking more about it you make a good point that
everything else is blue-sky and I would actually recommend this for
inclusion since it doesn't seem to interfere with the blue-sky project
goals.  I suppose the integration part would just be thinking about how
this fits in with the send/receive model.

Cheers,
~ Bryan