Re: Remove GnomeMeeting from Gnome module list?

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:33:03 +0100, Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com> wrote:
> - There should be a rule to determine if maintainers have to do a minor
> release in phase with the GNOME release just to update translations or
> not. That could be good and solve many problems.

I think that it would be wise, with some priority considerations (e.g.
an almost complete translation won't benefit much from polish, when
compared to a next-to-nothing translation getting the core done, which
could be the same amount of changes).

When you see things like a dialog with "Tee tämä? [CANCEL] [DO IT]" or
a menu with mixed language, it not only gives an unpolished and
unfinished feel of the software, it could also restrict usage of the
software for those who can't understand the language.

This would probably make sense only for stable releases of GNOME,
though. Otherwise it can overload the release front for little
benefit.

> We have to admit GnomeMeeting was a special case here as the version was
> the same in GNOME 2.6 and GNOME 2.8, so it might seem logical to think a
> minor release is not required as it had already had a string and code
> freeze for GNOME 2.6.

If the strings don't change, it doesn't mean the translations can't
evolve, does it? I don't know if that was the case here, but assuming
that the translations are complete and error free after a single
stable release doesn't sound right either.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi