Re: Integrated CD ripping/playing (instead of goobox/sound juicer)

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:

> Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:05:23 +0100
> From: Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje ronald bitfreak net>
> To: Karel Demeyer <kmdemeye vub ac be>
> Cc: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Integrated CD ripping/playing (instead of goobox/sound
>     juicer)
>
> On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 15:44, Karel Demeyer wrote:
> > I read that gnome 2.10 will probably include a CD-ripping/playing
> > utility.  I think such a program should not be _in_ the gnome packages,
> > though, I'd like those functionalities in gnome, but more integrated.
> > I'd like to be able to see the tracks on an audio CD in nautilus when I
> > insert one.
>
> I read such an idea on dotKDE as well at some point. Some dude wrote an
> extension that lets you rip CDs like that by typing the URI
> cd-ripper-ogg:// or cd-ripper-flac:// or so.

> Now, seriously, from a user point of view. Do you expect the user to
> know that Nautilus is your CD player or ripper by typing some obscure
> URI?

That is an ugly implementation detail and horrible when it comes to
discovery but I wouldn't completely reject the underlying concept,
I think the pricipal of it isn't that bad.

What is Nautilus going to show when you view an Audio CD?
Presumably a list of .cda files which isn't very useful.

I recall reading that on BeOS if you tried to copy a .cda file it would
transparently give you a WAV file.

Rather than creating yet another evil URI I would hope that there could be
some way this could be handled almost transparently so that to the user it
appears as if they are copying files directly off the Audio CD much as
they would do any other file off any other medium?  Wouldn't being able to
drag and drop a file from the CD to your desktop be the easiest way to go?
(This wouldn't preclude a tool like Sound Juicer for ripping whole disks
en masse and streamling the whole process anymore than Browser mode
Nautilus precludes Spatial Nautilus.)

> can know or do, it's far out of scope for a file manager (imo). What
> *would* be cool is to have a CD player with a player-like interface,
> which not only has a rip interface, but also supports DnD to nautilus as
> an alternative way of clicking 'rip now'.

It would definately be cool to be able to drag from a playlist to the
desktop and be prompted to rip/extract.

> I'm keeping out of the ripper vs. player discussion because I really
> just want gnome-cd to die and don't care how. ;).

I dont understand this urge to kill off gnome-cd.  I actually quite like
the basic layout (does one thing well) and find programs like Rythmbox a
bit cluttered when I just want to play a CD.  I do have the CD case
infront of me which usually has the information I need but dont always
have an active internet connection and want or need detailed infromation
about the CD.  To be honest I probably use the CD player only because I
want slightly more functionality that is available from the hardware CD
player built in to the drive itself.

By all means add Sound Juicer or some other CD ripping functionality but I
don't get why it necessitates killing off the straighforward CD Player
that plays CDs.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Free SVG Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org