Re: Removal of wireless-applets from gnome-applets?

Bastien Nocera wrote:
However, the immediate replacement, netstatus, does not do everything as well as the w-a. For example, it does not seem to be able to show my signal strength as a percentage, does not tell me how strong my signal is via a colour cue, and has very annoying (distracting) flashing monitors consuming valuable applet space. It seems to take away everything that made wireless-applet better than all the others.

Was it really better?

Honestly, yes. If the silly flashing monitors could be disabled, it would certainly go a long way to making it easier on the eyes. Additionally, the artwork looks badly downsampled when not using it on a 48px panel. Netstatus simply lacks the clean-cut look of the other applets.

The main reason I was given for this change is that wireless-applet's code is messy. To me, the copy in CVS looks short and simple. I also cannot imagine it being a big deal to maintain.

Hmm, no. I don't know who gave you that reason but it's not. The main
reason is that most people with wireless don't need the percentage all
the time, or the display that everything works fine all the time.

Davyd mentioned the code is ugly or a synonym thereof. I suppose it could be interpreted several ways.

However, do you not see it as totally hypocritical to say that people don't need to know the percentage of their wireless signal, but need to know whenever a packet is sent or received?

So, is there any reason why it should be removed before a proper replacement is available? I cannot see netstatus gaining all this missing functionality within the timeframe of the next release. I would love to see w-a in Gnome 2.10.

Feel free to revive the wireless applet as a third party applet.

If it cannot be re-instated upstream, I might just do that. Shame that such a widely-used applet would be removed upstream.

--Pat