Removal of wireless-applets from gnome-applets?

Hello,

As of recent releases of gnome-applets, the wireless applet has been removed.

I very much used and liked the wireless-applet and I'm curious if there's some sort of module removal policy with these things. For example, does an applet need to cover all the functionality of an old applet before getting removed? If there were an applet that behaved pretty much the same way as the old one, I would be inclined to switch to it.

However, the immediate replacement, netstatus, does not do everything as well as the w-a. For example, it does not seem to be able to show my signal strength as a percentage, does not tell me how strong my signal is via a colour cue, and has very annoying (distracting) flashing monitors consuming valuable applet space. It seems to take away everything that made wireless-applet better than all the others.

The main reason I was given for this change is that wireless-applet's code is messy. To me, the copy in CVS looks short and simple. I also cannot imagine it being a big deal to maintain.

So, is there any reason why it should be removed before a proper replacement is available? I cannot see netstatus gaining all this missing functionality within the timeframe of the next release. I would love to see w-a in Gnome 2.10.

--Pat