Re: proposal for a smarter behavior for raising windows on mouse click

What's up with the cross-posting madness?  ;-)

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:14:28 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero
<federico ximian com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 12:02, Martin Grimme wrote:
>
> > Imagine the following scenario:
> > - user clicks on scrollbar arrow
> > - scrollbar knows that it should not raise the window
> > - scrollbar sets _NET_WM_DONT_RAISE on its toplevel window
> > - window manager detects the mouse click and checks for the
> >   flag
> > - window manager takes action depending on whether the flag is set
> >   or not and unsets the flag
> >
> > (In case that mouse clicks reach the window manager before they reach
> > the widget, the window manager may check for raising in an
> > idle handler.)

<snip>

This proposal is basically the idea behind _NET_WM_TAKE_ACTIVITY
(except that the proposal works and doesn't have the problem Federico
pointed out), which has already been proposed on the wm-spec-list.
Unfortunately, the biggest drawback is that it puts the policy control
into the clients, meaning that if QT decides scrollbars should not be
raised on click but GTK decides that they should, then we have
inherent inconsistency.  Another proposal that would put the policy
into the WM instead of the clients has also been proposed
instead--_NET_WM_MOUSE_ACTION.  As far as I know, no one has yet
implemented it.  I missed the gtk+-2.6 deadline and focused on other
stuff, but plan to return to it soon.

Cheers,
Elijah