Re: .desktop file handling

On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 19:05 +0100, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think libgnome-desktop is not supposed to be public API. From the README:
>
> "The package contains the libgnome-desktop library
> which contains APIs that really belong in libgnome[ui] but
> have not seen enough testing or development to be considered
> stable. Use at your own risk."

Odd. Didn't this API used to be IN libgnome[ui]? I certainly remember it
being in gnome-core in Gnome 1.4.

> > Also if you want to launch an application using the startup-notification
> > stuff, you need to use libgnome-panel (although I have raised bug 166197
> > about gnome-vfs not using startup-notification).
>
> In both cases the problem is that gnome-vfs cannot depend on gtk.
> There are vague plans of a libgnomevfsui library for other things...
> that could be a good place to put launch with notification/icon apis
> too.
>
> Out of curiosity can you explain the use case of the icon api?

I think the problem is that the Icon Theme API that doesn't actually
depend on X at all, is in GTK+, rather than glib. And, in the grand
scheme of things, gnome-vfs already depends on GTK+ indirectly anyway.
It depends on GConf, which needs GTK+ for the error dialog dingus.
Neither of the libraries directly depend on it though. Also, much of
the Icon Theme API seems like it would be useful outside of icon themes
as well. And it might be nice to reduce all the desktop/theme/whatever
INI-style parsing code to one single API sometime too, rather than
having a bunch of different INI parsers all over the place.

-- dobey