Re: .desktop file handling

 > To draw a picture, basically the following should, IMHO, just work:
>
> icon = gnome_vfs_mime_application_get_icon(...);
> image = gtk_image_new_from_icon_name(icon, GTK_ICON_SIZE_MENU);
>
> But if I've understood it correctly that can fail because 'icon' is an
> absolute filename or includes an extension.  IMHO it's not the
> application's responsibility to start interpreting the return value.

Yeah, that doesnt work because according to the freedesktop spec the
icon value can be and absolute path. So, to avoid applications
interpreting the value we need an api that returns an absolute path or
a pixbuf. And that requires GtkIconTheme.

The API is admittely confusing. I didnt deprecate it because we dont
have an alternative yet.

Marco