Re: .desktop file handling

On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 14:10 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 19:05 +0100, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> > > Also if you want to launch an application using the startup-notification
> > > stuff, you need to use libgnome-panel (although I have raised bug 166197
> > > about gnome-vfs not using startup-notification).
> >
> > In both cases the problem is that gnome-vfs cannot depend on gtk.
> > There are vague plans of a libgnomevfsui library for other things...
> > that could be a good place to put launch with notification/icon apis
> > too.
> >
> > Out of curiosity can you explain the use case of the icon api?
>
> I think the problem is that the Icon Theme API that doesn't actually
> depend on X at all, is in GTK+, rather than glib. And, in the grand
> scheme of things, gnome-vfs already depends on GTK+ indirectly anyway.
> It depends on GConf, which needs GTK+ for the error dialog dingus.
> Neither of the libraries directly depend on it though. Also, much of
> the Icon Theme API seems like it would be useful outside of icon themes
> as well. And it might be nice to reduce all the desktop/theme/whatever
> INI-style parsing code to one single API sometime too, rather than
> having a bunch of different INI parsers all over the place.

GtkIconTheme uses xsettings, so its currently tied to X. Also, we now
have a desktop-file parser in the developer platform (in glib), so
eventually I expect most other such APIs to go away.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a one-legged devious jungle king on a mission from God. She's a beautiful
African-American mermaid with the soul of a mighty warrior. They fight crime!