Re: The State of (in)Consistency of Save Confirmation Dialogs

У Втр, 2005-02-01 у 00:37 +0000, Iain * пише:

> > > If you tried that, the laptops of the world will hunt you down...
> > > assuming they get that far before their batteries die quick and horrible
> > > deaths from vastly over-zealous disk activity.
> >
> > The text doesn't need to land on the hardware right away, the in ram
> > buffers are fine for that. There's a technology available on linux that
> > delays disk writes specially for notebooks. That would suffice.
>
> Ah, nothing like a bit of pointless blue sky thinking (tm) to distract
> everyone from the real issue ---- the inconsistency of the save
> dialogs...
>
> But anyway, Yey, for the buffering of writes, that'll be lovely, for
> all applications that can just "append information at the end of the
> file." (with a file format change). How does it work when you're
> editing a plain text file

Plain text files are rarely bigger than a few 10 kbytes.

> , or a word document?

I don't see the problem here. That's a structured format - you can just
append the information "insert "foo bar baz" at the beginning of the
second paragraph" to the file.

>  Does Abiword resave it as an abiword file for you?

That will be an abiword file. Of course from time to time the
application incorporates the changes mentioned at the end of the file in
the main data.

> And what about GEdit, which has plain text as its file format, and so
> can't just "append information at the end of the file"

See above.

> Or a sample editor that edits audio data and needs to encode things as
> they're saved
> Or a graphics editor that needs to do the same....

That needs thinking of course, to which I'm not able at 1 am :)

> Basically, its a lovely way to spout off pointless emails, and get
> nothing done, especially when the solution to the issue is so
> seemingly simple....Do what the HIG says, and if the app doesn't, then
> file a bug report about it.

The hig says little about behaviour, and much about appearance. It
doesn't specify everything that needs a concept.

Markus

--
Markus Bertheau <twanger bluetwanger de>

Description: =?koi8-u?Q?=E3=C0?= =?koi8-u?Q?_=DE=C1=D3=D4=C9=CE=D5?= =?koi8-u?Q?_=D0=CF=D7=A6=C4=CF=CD=CC=C5=CE=CE?= =?koi8-u?Q?=D1?= =?koi8-u?Q?_=D0=A6=C4=D0=C9=D3=C1=CE=CF?= =?koi8-u?Q?_=C3=C9=C6=D2=CF=D7=C9=CD?= =?koi8-u?Q?_=D0=A6=C4=D0=C9=D3=CF=CD?=