Re: ALInex - ADSL Modems - Portugal

On Gwe, 2005-12-30 at 13:27 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> I pondered this a few months ago -- we need a small application that
> when hardware is inserted (HAL event) can query a set of xml descriptors
> and then prompt the user with a libnotify type bubble. Done as a session
> service, like g-p-m and g-v-m. I think it's sufficiently different to
> g-v-m to constitute a different service.

And the modem reboots or gets reset while a user is not logged in losing
you connectivity until the next login and event gets noticed. Thats why
the Linux approach is to do this below the user level - not forgetting
from the fact you can really upset some devices by loading bogus
firmware and possibly load hacked firmware as an end user with other
models of operation.

Alan