Re: ALInex - ADSL Modems - Portugal

On Iau, 2005-12-29 at 16:24 +0000, Luis Rodrigues wrote:
> What we want is to have a dialog that shows several types os modems, the
> users chooses the one he has and we write the apropriate scripts, if it
> needs a firmware we would ask the user to enter the location of it.

I can't speak for non-Linux systems but the Linux 2.6 mentality is that
the kernel generates a hot-plug message to load the right firmware and
the user space hot plug layer loads the firmware file. Correctly set up
it should be invisible to the user barring installing firmware if the
firmware cannot be distro shipped