Re: Browser Mode by Default [Was: Nautilus]

Hi,

On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 03:19 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Emmanuele Bassi">

> > Ubuntu, as a packager, has all the rights of changing the default
> > settings; on the other hand, I don't think that upstream behaviour should
> > change, unless *every* GNOME packager decides to ship with browser mode by
> > default - and even then, I'd be still strongly against it.
>
> GNOME, as a project, has always understood and supported the reality that
> our distributors can and will make changes. I don't want to see us become
> the kind of project that whines and moans about the way distributors take
> advantage of the rights we give them under our chosen license. :-)

I don't think that anyone would complain about distributors changing
defaults; I, for sure, am not. Unless a distributor changes an option
and disrupts my desktop - in which case, I'll make a real fuss about
it. ;-)

On the other hand, I think that upstream GNOME is definitely another
beast, and what goes and goes not inside it as a default should be what
the developers of a certain package decide to do - plus, something
coming from the community.  If Nautilus maintainers decide that spatial
nautilus was a mistake, then I will not object the return to browser
mode.  The spatial paradigm has "inspired" a new UI design, for GNOME,
though; now, more and more applications are working toward a "spatial"
approach to the desktop itself - remembering the window geometry, using
a single window for a document, etc.  It was done before, it's getting
the real "default design"; and I think that it was Nautilus' "mistake",
even more than the HIG, that did this.

If Topaz is moving toward a more comprehensive definition of "first
class citizen" of the desktop, I think that the overall user experience
will benefit from a widespread spatial paradigm.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi - <ebassi gmail com>