Re: Browser Mode by Default [Was: Nautilus]

<quote who="Emmanuele Bassi">

> I, for one, did not understand why Breezy did ship with that crippled
> "ubuntu-nautilus" option set to "on" by default inside the schema, that
> closed the parent windows behind, breaking my work flow without letting me
> know (apart from digging into Ubuntu's bugzilla and the changelog for the
> nautilus package) what the hell happenend.  *This*, for me, was a major
> flaw for Breezy; a flaw that reflected onto GNOME itself.

Yep. That was certainly a bummer for everyone involved.

> Ubuntu, as a packager, has all the rights of changing the default
> settings; on the other hand, I don't think that upstream behaviour should
> change, unless *every* GNOME packager decides to ship with browser mode by
> default - and even then, I'd be still strongly against it.

GNOME, as a project, has always understood and supported the reality that
our distributors can and will make changes. I don't want to see us become
the kind of project that whines and moans about the way distributors take
advantage of the rights we give them under our chosen license. :-)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/

     "World domination is a community responsibility." - Michael Hall,
                                LinuxPlanet