Re: EOG features

Claudio Saavedra wrote:
> Another point to take into account is the ammount of info that would be
> needed to save the last used rotation using a per-file basis. Probably
> that works in evince because a normal user doesn't have 50.000 PDF/PS
> documents, but maybe 50.000 images; and that is too much info.

But it's still ten thousand times less than about 1GB of 50000 png
previews in ~/.thumbnails:

sbrabec hammer:~> ls -alR .thumbnails | wc -l
51929
sbrabec hammer:~> ls -alR .thumbnails | grep total
total 2498
total 470
total 1282
total 1468340
total 49859

Especially for small jpegs, thumbnail in ~/.thumbnails is often ten
times larger than the image itself!

This calls for:
- Not creating thumbnail, if it is already present in the image itself
and can be extracted in miliseconds.
- Not creating thumbnails for small images.
- Use of jpeg for thumbnails of jpeg images.
- Not saving rotation, if it is already OK in the EXIF tag.

And there are my Nautilus exifrot scripts. It's an ugly script, but
changes exactly one or two bytes of image:
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/
http://ftp.penguin.cz/pub/users/utx/exifrot/
It would be very easy to make similar nautilus extension.
The script is limited to cameras, which write EXIF rotation tag, but
does not write useful value there.

Note: gexif does EXIF repackaging, which causes loss of unknown data.

-

And off topic note about thumbnails: And because thumbnailer ignore
directory symlinks (and file hardlinks), amount of stored thumbnails os
often much larger than required.

This calls for:
- Use volume unique id and inode for primary identification of file.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SuSE CR, s. r. o.                             e-mail: sbrabec suse cz
Drahobejlova 27                               tel: +420 296 542 382
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 296 542 374
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.cz/