Re: EOG features

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Kalle Vahlman wrote:

> Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:46:17 +0200
> From: Kalle Vahlman <kalle vahlman gmail com>
> To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: EOG features
>
> 2005/12/1, Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>:
> > I happen to think there will always be room for a fast light image viewer
> > and Eye of Gnome certainly fits the bill.
>
> I agree. I also think that it should be just that, an image viewer
> (not an editor).

> So what I suggest is to remove all saving options from eog

overkill?  might be a good discipline for testing and development (like
using a one button mouse) but I think end users would revolt if there was
no save.

> and creating a sister app that has simple photo-oriented retouching
> fulfilling the needs of ordinary digiphotoers. Rotate, scale, crop,
> brightness/contrast, maybe even color balance and sharpness.

sounds vaguely like what gthumb already provides, perhaps it could be
improved?

> The "eog-editor" should be visually separated from eog so that the
> user will be aware that this UI is not the same one, but accessible
> from the eog UI.

there might be room to improve the "Open with" functionality in EoG (I'm
glad this is being looked into and I'm optimistic it will give a better
feeling of integration for the users even though things are still kept
quite seperate.)

> This kind of light photo retouching would really have a market, my
> wife for example finds Gimp very intimidating, and it's overkill for
> the ordinary user.

I wonder sometimes why a small simple editing application like GNU Paint
never made it into Gnome.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org