Re: EOG features

2005/12/1, Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>:
> I happen to think there will always be room for a fast light image viewer
> and Eye of Gnome certainly fits the bill.

I agree. I also think that it should be just that, an image viewer
(not an editor).

I have very serious doubts that any autosaving on viewed images could
be done without at some point getting it wrong (thus destroying data).
And unless doing serious backupping, that isn't "oops it ate 30min of
work" it's "OH MY GOD IT ATE MY CHILDS BIRTHDAY PICTURE THAT I'LL
NEVER RECOVER". Which would be fine, had the user done it on purpose
and knowingly, but to do it automagically is a terrifying prospect to
me.

So what I suggest is to remove all saving options from eog and
creating a sister app that has simple photo-oriented retouching
fulfilling the needs of ordinary digiphotoers. Rotate, scale, crop,
brightness/contrast, maybe even color balance and sharpness. But
nothing more advanced than that. From my shallow knowledge of the eog
codebase, I guess most of the code could be common between those.

The "eog-editor" should be visually separated from eog so that the
user will be aware that this UI is not the same one, but accessible
from the eog UI.

This kind of light photo retouching would really have a market, my
wife for example finds Gimp very intimidating, and it's overkill for
the ordinary user.

Thoughts?

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi