Re: EOG features

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> > When I find photos with wrong orientation it's convenient not having to
> > open GIMP just to rotate it.

> > easy for someone who doesn't know gimp to rotate the image (and even if
> > you do know gimp, it still takes some time starting up, and so on). I

obligatory advice, you can sometimes make a significant difference to
startup time if you use:

gimp --no-data

> > don't see why it should be removed when it's there, not taking up much
> > space and being very convenient.

> Yes, rotation (-90, +90) is everybody's unique most frequently
> used feature of image editing.

with the better support now for built in EXIF orientation information
there might be a little less manual rotation needed but I expect it will
still be a frequently used feature.

> It's got all other manipulations that I need when managing my
> photos: Enhance and Crop.

no "lossless"* jpeg crop unfortunately!

> Now eog has the rotate buttons on the toolbar (the rotate-left,
> rotate-right buttons themselves, not a button to bring up the

> why not merge EOG with evince then?

You might want to ask the Evince developers what they think about the
notion of Evince being a "universal viewer", the idea seems to be
recurring at the moment.  last time I asked they said they were busily
concentrating on making a really good PDF viewer.  [I hope this comes
across politely, I've tried rephrasing it but it does not seem quite
right]

If you are determined to try using Evince instead of EoG (thanks to the
magic of gdkpixbuf) you can already view the major image types in Evince
but it isn't exactly what I'd call the most elegant solution, not as nice
as using an application designed as an image viewer. (have hammer, looks
like a nail...)

I happen to think there will always be room for a fast light image viewer
and Eye of Gnome certainly fits the bill.

> (unfortunately) I have to use gthumb to be efficient.  Any way to
> redunce the redundancy of having both EOG and gthumb is
> appreciated. :)

If anything I think gthumb is at greater risk of being squeezed into a
very small niche and face a lot of competition from the likes of f-spot.
(The poor use of available screen space in gthumb heavily discourages me
from wanting to use it.  Also there is no easy way to compare two images
side by side which I occasionally want to do, it is very much about only
one image at a time.)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

* pedantry: lossless as in no extra reencoding, crop is obviously lossey
in the literal sense of cutting away the edges