Re: Removing xrdb for 10% startup win?

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, William Lovaton wrote:

> Not exactly I guess, I think Lorenzo means something more like grope.  I
> wonder why a function reordering thingy like this is still missing on
> Linux.

gcc supports that, but needs profile data to be available:

       -freorder-functions
           Reorder functions in the object file in order to improve code
           locality.  This is implemented by using special subsections
           ".text.hot" for most frequently executed functions and
           ".text.unlikely" for unlikely executed functions.  Reordering is
           done by the linker so object file format must support named sec-
           tions and linker must place them in a reasonable way.
           Also profile feedback must be available in to make this option
           effective.  See -fprofile-arcs for details.

           Enabled at levels -O2, -O3, -Os.

behdad

> [] http://lwn.net/1998/1029/als/rope.html
>
> Cheers,