Re: Removing xrdb for 10% startup win?

Alexander Larsson wrote:
So, as Owen says, most of the time is spent just reading the cc1
binary into memory. I have no idea why it's reading around all over
the place instead of performing one big sequential read of the whole
file though.

My guess is that it just maps the whole executable on start, and then
demand loads pages as they are needed (i.e. on page faults).

Yes, I suppose you're right! Thanks for enlightening me.

However, that's not the most efficient way to load *anything* if you know you're going to need the whole file. I see this happening with shared libraries a lot.

But surely someone has thought of this before?

Cheers,
Lorenzo