Re: gtkspell (was Re: Announcing: Project Ridley)

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 13:30 +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 14:03 -0400, Bryan Clark wrote:
> > I don't have a problem "me too"ing this request, since I think I've been
> > asking for spell checking for all text-entry widgets for the past two
> > years as well as a richer textview widget.
>
> As a matter of interest, does anyone have any data about what people are
> actually typing into text widgets, that would help us decide whether
> this was worthwhile or not?

No hard and fast numbers, but I think I could say with confidence that
spell checking would benefit a lot of random places. If it was an option
that could be activated with ease, it is more likely to turn up in those
places.

Some examples I can think of:
 - X-chat
 - Gossip (it has a kind-of-something)/Gaim
 - Epiphany/Firefox text entries
 - blog app (Drivel uses GtkSpell)
 - Evolution (using gnome-spell, which is not my favourite checking UI)
 - freeform notes in Tomboy (has something today), Nautilus, etc.
 - word processors/spreadsheets (spell checking in formula bar) etc.

There are certainly a lot of places that we could benefit from spell
checking if it was available at an easily accessible level.

It would also be nice to have a consistent feel for spell checking
throughout the desktop. It's the kind of feature that sets you apart
from the riffraff of desktop OSes.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA