Re: eggcups (and libgnomecups) for 2.12

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 11:23:52AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 09:05 -0600, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
>
> > Well, as far as I am concerned the polling of the cups printers is a big
> > pain. For example see bug 309277 . Rather than adding eggcups we should
> > really _remove_ that polling from gnome-print.
>
> As far as I can see from that bug the reporter is complaining about two
> things:
>
> 1) Lots of entries in the CUPS access log: well, the default CUPS access
>    log is verbose, simply tune it down.
agreed.

> 2) The polling continuing after the print dialog has been closed: that's
>    definitely a bug.  I can't seem to reproduce it here.
nor have I, but there have been persistent reports tied to evolution
about this.

> In any case these are bugs, not reasons to revert important end user
> visible functionality.

Neither of these were the core of the problem.  The main issue was a
cups bug on inconsistently configured systems.  Cups would resolve
localhost to the real hostname.  In situations where the domainname
was improperly configured you could end up with urls that were
incorrect.  cupsd would go into an infinite loop attempting to
resolve.