Re: Revisiting the Gnome Bindings

Hello Havoc,

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Havoc Pennington wrote:

1. imagine running a pygtk applet, a perl applet, a gtkmm applet -
   just that would make the desktop a fair bit bigger in resident size.

This argument has been used for years against Java. It's not really relevant because memory + cpu gets cheaper all the time whereas the runtimes are being optimized.

2. imagine the desktop is written in 10 languages, especially
   if some of them are kind of obscure; it'd become relatively hard
   to build GNOME and become a GNOME hacker, since you'd have to
   get all these compilers/interpreters and bindings working, and then
   learn all the languages.

I'd argue the opposite thing. Building GNOME and configuring the build environment is something that your distro should be able to do for you, if you couldn't handle it yourself. But the dependency on C had always held _me_ back from hacking on GNOME. Having modules written in whatever language the programmer thought appropriate, I expect will *enlarge* the potential contributors base because every kind of programmer, not just the C hacker, will find something he'll be able to understand quickly.

Anyhow, so really to use bindings we need to choose some pretty small
number of them, for mainstream languages, or it'd get crazy.

Call me crazy, but I'd welcome any cool GNOME app, no matter what language it was written in. :)

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen			student of Artifical Intelligence
email: reinout cs vu nl			mobile phone: +31-6-44360778