Re: Goals for 2.10 - desktop-wide profiling

Kjartan Maraas <kmaraas broadpark no> writes:

> I fired up valgrind using the heap profiling tool there just to get a
> birds eye view on where allocations happen and it seems font handling
> and icon themes are the major offenders there. There was some talk about
> making icon theme formats better by using some packing technique or
> something but I don't know if anything materialized.

Owen had a suggestion for how to do this, and Anders did an
implementation:

        http://andersca.org/patches/icon-theme-cache.diff

I haven't looked at it though, so I don't know the status of
it.

For fonts basically the same approach would work. Basically make sure
the fc-cache-1 files can be mapped and used directly instead
allocating memory for what is essentially just a representation of the
cache.

Søren