Re: menu layout proposal for gnome 2.10

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 10:47 +0100, Bill Haneman wrote:
> I don't think moving the Accessibility applications into Preferences
> makes sense;

Right now "Accessibility" is part of "Preferences". Did you mean
"Assistive Technologies"?

> it breaks the principle we adhere to elsewhere,
> distinguishing "apps" from "system settings".

Well, I must admit that is not clear to me how does the "Assistive
Technologies" fit in the desktop user experience. My first thought was
that these apps should not be considered "Applications" because they are
not stand-alone applications, they are used to help the user use other
applications. But, as I said before...I don't know what I'm talking
about :)

> If I want to run an
> assistive technology just once (and not make it a startup program for my
> desktop), I shouldn't have to go into Preferences to find it.

Why not?...I mean, ignoring the "settings" vs "apps" issue, what you
describe its not a regular use-case. It is usual for "average user" to
manually launch "assistive apps" as opposed to "adding them to startup
programs"?

--
Ricardo Veguilla <veguilla hpcf upr edu>