Re: menu layout proposal for gnome 2.10

This is interesting. We have worked on a project here (Web4All) that allows users to set their preferences (using a wizard in this case), and then, if required, system settings are changed, and/or one or more assitive technology programs are run.

It does seem like there _could_ be two ways of coming at it... of causing an assitive tech to launch... Just something to mull over - user mental models and that kind of thing. I don't favour one or the other, but the word "preference" sure has a nice feel to it... since it uncouples the idea of disability from the assitive technology. And let's face it, I don't need a magnifier but they sure come in handy sometimes! Then again, this latter point supports Bill's comment -- that you might only want it sometimes... Stopping my rample now.

cheers,

David

Bill Haneman wrote:

I don't think moving the Accessibility applications into Preferences
makes sense; it breaks the principle we adhere to elsewhere,
distinguishing "apps" from "system settings".  If I want to run an
assistive technology just once (and not make it a startup program for my
desktop), I shouldn't have to go into Preferences to find it.

- Bill