Re: Revisiting the Gnome Bindings

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:39:48 -0700, Eugenia Loli-Queru
<eloli hotmail com> wrote:

Hi Eugenia,

> I am talking about the users. Exactly because most distros don't package the
> bindings, the users will find themselves in need to install them by hand.
> And gtk-perl is a /nightmare/ to install properly, in particular.

Could you please care to elaborate more about this "nightmare"-like
experience that you have had while installing the Perl bindings? With
Debian, is a simple matter of getting the packages, which are clearly
labelled as libgtk2-perl, libgnome2-perl, etc., conforming to the
Debian naming rules. The Debian packages has been included in Unstable
before the Perl bindings entered the Platform Bindings project.

BTW: If you meant gtk-perl, that is the Perl bindings to the GTK+
1.2.x, these are old and unmaintained - and not part of the GNOME
Platform Bindings.

But, on a side-note, I agree with your point: having a binding set and
not having a full meta-package which depends on the single bindings'
packages is wrong; but this is a per-distribution matter, and should
be resolved by each distribution.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
It is against the grain of modern education to teach children to program.
What fun is there in making plans, acquiring discipline in organizing