Re: Revisiting the Gnome Bindings

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 18:46 -0700, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
> When the Gnome Bindings Project came about at the end of last year, I was
> very excited about it. Really excited in fact, as there are many gtkmm or
> perl apps gtk apps around (and even more pygtk ones).
>
> But 10 months later, I haven't seen a *single* distro that has packaged the
> gnome-bindings the way everyone expected. Sure, Fedora includes pygtk and
> gtkmm, but I don't think they did so with the gnome-bindings in mind. The
> whole point of creating the bindings was so bindings had a common point of
> release in conjuction to gnome releases for more consistency, and also that
> distros would pick them up and package them/include them on their distros.

I always thought the main point of gnome-bindings was to encourage
bindings to follow the GNOME release schedule, keep up to date with the
API changes, and to promote little-known bindings.

Distributions package what they want, and if (say) Fedora doesn't
include Java I don't see how they could package java-gnome (although it
probably works under GCJ/Kaffe, this was just an example).

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./