Re: the future of GNOME Applets

Hi,

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 15:12, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> CD Player
> 	Haven't looked at this, suspect it will want integration
> 	with Sound Juicer. It's possible that this should instead
> 	be replaced by some applet that links with a media player
> 	(when we include a media player in GNOME). Keep, for now.

Yeah, so I'm in the same cycle with gnome-cd in gnome-media. I really
want it to be replaced (die! die! die!), but am waiting for sound-juicer
to have a sound output so I can replace it. Ross agrees with this. I
suppose gnome-applets would need the same. There's some issues:

* hardware-playback (which we currently use) can be shared across
applications. Software-playback (ripping, as Alan calls it), which is
what we eventually want and what sound-juicer does, can not, afaik. So
in order to have nice interaction between applet and gnome-cd, you need
a daemon or so, which is all very hacky and not really what we want.
* someone actually needs to add a sound output to sound-juicer. It's on
my wishlist and might end up on my task list some day. I think Ross had
similar time constraints.

Especially the first needs some thought. We'll get bug reports on
gnome-cd/cd-applet interaction issues if we don't do that correctly.

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje ronald bitfreak net>