Re: gnome-about-me

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 22:15 -0400, Ricardo Veguilla wrote:

> the idea was that the user will fill this info as part of the account
> creation (in the case of distributions) or from the "Start here" when
> the user logs in  for the first time so that evolution, gaim, gossip,
> and any other e-d-s aware app could be "pre-configured" based on what
> the user entered here.

+1

Definitely this is the type of user-friendliness that the current Linux
desktop environment is missing that the Mac users have had for a
while :)  I used a mac full time for the first time about 10 months ago
and it was these small touches that made me understand why the mac-heads
are so fanatical :)  Pre-filling gaim/evolution/openoffice, and even
things like the weather applet being able to grab location information
from somewhere would be extremely cool to me as a user.

This combined with the profiling suggested earlier by Maciejj would
really kick ass for 2.10.  Imagine a desktop environment that where the
new release actually has LOWER requirements instead of higher ones :)

obMutter: I seem to remember long ago suggesting to the evolution team
that some of the server login information could be pre-filled based on
the users email address (if the email address is bob foo com, chances
are the pop3/imap server is foo.com), but it was shot down saying that
it wasn't a good idea.  Bah.  It was probably a pretty hacky idea to do
it that way, but the idea of pre-filling information where possible is
what I was going for.

Anyway, my $0.02 as a user.

Alan
--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain