Re: the future of GNOME Applets

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 16:18 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor
> 	We need to add one of these. There are a number of options here
> 	personally, I want to get one that uses HAL, however HAL doesn't
> 	currently have Processor devices either.
I don't think that the average user needs this information constantly on
his screen. Can't he just look at system monitor when he's really
interested?
Every modern laptop vendor ships a desktop app to monitor and change the speed of your computer because of course, you may have a problem if you're on your batteries with a 1.4Ghz processor killing them and you have no indicator to tell you you'll have a problem at some point. Well you've certainly have some sound coming from your CPU fan ... but that's all.

I admit it's not that interesting without a daemon like emifreq applet for example, which does that pretty nicely: http://zzrough.free.fr/emifreq.php
I mean, I created this app only to change the speed of my laptop, whether I am watching a movie, coding or all the rest of the time to have silence and no heat. That's the interesting bits, definitely. But it seems the general trend is not add more daemon.

Would be awesome to have a HAL backend like Davyd told though.

cheers,

--Stef