Re: Regarding a new default theme

 Slow themes will not yield any major "wows" either, I assure you.

I would not want a slow theme myself either, ever. If such a theme is to be created, it will have to have optimizations and an engine behind it, and when GTK+ is found to be crawling, then optimize GTK+ itself. That's why I said earlier that in order to create a modern theme, it is NOT just a matter of writing the theme alone, but also modifying GTK+/Metacity and I asked for the co-operation of these teams on such a project.

Such a theme stretches GTK+'s abilities, and that's a good opportunity to extend the toolkit. If we don't do that, GTK itself will never go to the next level either. It's needs like this that create evolution.

Perhaps we can simplify the look a bit in
order to simplify the code.  In particular, the active tabs  and
scrollbar arrows look too complicated.

That's most of the beauty of this theme. If we make those as unshaded rectangles, we just got Bluecurve or Simple back... The theme has to be modern, even if that means changes to GTK+ itself and/or its theme code. The theme has to be fresh and modern, I woudn't want to cut out any of its features...

Rgds,
Eugenia

------
http://www.GnomeFiles.org