Re: Desktop-Wide User Status

Sean Middleditch wrote:
On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 12:46 -0300, Steven Garrity wrote:

Does anyone know of Galago deals with desktop-wide presence for yourself too?

If you're sitting at your computer, do you really need it to tell you
that you're there?  ;-)

Seriously, what exactly do you mean by self presence?  Advertising to
other users across the network whether you're around or not?  A
framework for allowing applications to test if you're present so they
can notify the other users?

Best bet there, I'd wager, is to D-BUS-ize xscreensaver and whenever it
kicks in, send a signal, letting any interested apps know you're not
around.  Would be useful for a whole ton of other stuff, too.  (Power
saving, etc.)

What we do in Gossip is to check whether the user uses the computer. After a certain amount of time of inactivity we set the user to be away and after an even longer time we set extended away (this is jabber). I think someone also has a hack to use it together with the screensaver to set directly to away when the screensaver kicks in.

Best Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Imendio HB, http://www.imendio.com/