Re: Proposal: replacing esound with polypaudio in 2.10

<quote who="Luis Villa">

> Good answers. Do you have suggestions on how we could best go about
> testing polypaudio now? This is obviously a fairly low-level change and
> speaking with my QA hat on I'd want to be sure we're not regressing for
> our users.

If esound and libesd are separate packages on your distro [1], you should be
able to remove esound and install polypaudio, and everything should work as
normal. It will be extra effort to patch libgnome to use libpolyp instead of
libesd, but that can be done soon enough.

- Jeff

[1] Such as Debian or Ubuntu. polypaudio hasn't made it into Debian yet, but
on Ubuntu, just apt-get install polypaudio from universe. Restart your
session, marvel at the existence of a polypaudio daemon instead of esd, and
hear the lovely login music. :-)

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia         http://lca2005.linux.org.au/

    "Learning and doing is the true spirit of free software -- learning
   without doing gets you academic sterility, and doing without learning
    is all too often the way things are done in proprietary software." -
                                Raph Levien