Re: Speed improvement of gnome-terminal

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 23:58 +0100, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 00:23 +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> > Mark Gordon writes:
> >
> > > Agreed, but do you really need 60 screens per second?
> >
> > Maybe not, but when I do less /var/log/messages PGUP, that takes about
> > 1 second in gnome-terminal.  IWBN if PGUP felt more instantaneous,
> > about four or five keystrokes (PGUPs) per second is a valid wish?
>
> Interesting. That's instantaneous on my machine - mind that's a 2.5 GHz
> processor which will tend to mask performance problems.

Looks like the long-standing vte bug which results in pageup taking far
longer than page down to redraw.  Some distributions have applied
various hacks around the problem, and I'm not sure if G2.8 (still G2.6
on this machine) finally fixed it.

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./