Re: Speed improvement of gnome-terminal

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 15:39 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Gwe, 2004-10-15 at 14:47, Mark Gordon wrote:
> > Hardware acceleration, using texture maps of glyphs?
>
> vte at least already does a lot of clever render tricks. The X server
> just doesn't know the right acceleration magic for them.

Should the focus be shifted to improving the X server?

> > Aside from high-performance ASCII animation, I'm not sure why anyone
> > would *need* that kind of scrolling speed...
>
> On a decent box quite a few things are significantyl constrained by
> current vte performance - including kernel compiles.

Agreed, but do you really need 60 screens per second?  I was mostly
questioning the necessity of the selected target level of performance.

A solution based on video hardware would have the significant advantage
of reducing the CPU load that scrolling incurs, which is probably the
real problem when compiling the kernel, with the target "frame rate"
being far less of an issue, if it's an issue at all.

-Mark Gordon