Re: Future of desktop splash screens - some thoughts

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, Dave Ahlswede wrote:

> On my system, gnome-session itself seems to be a significant bottleneck
> at startup-- I usually spend at least as much time waiting for the
> splash screen to appear as it takes for the splash screen to fill up
> with all its icons and disappear.

If I recall correctly that's related to font loading, and will happen to
whatever gtk+ program that gets ran first by X. So it's not gnome-session

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz ULYSSIS Org
"Baldric, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself pur-
 ple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here a-