Re: Speed improvement of gnome-terminal

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 09:55:49 -0300, Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues
<lookkas gmail com> wrote:

> xterminal: ~ 11 s, takes 100% CPU time
> gnome-terminal: ~ 12 s, takes 100% CPU time
> aterm: ~ 2 s, takes ~ 80% CPU time
>
> Since I don't have KDE installed, I didn't try konsole. Of course,
> this results should be taken as a grain of salt, but it seems that
> gtk2 + pango have some serious performance problems that need to be
> worked. For God Sake, this is not a flame. I'm just suggesting that
> the gnome-terminal developers/mantainers (havoc and mariano) can talk

Um, it'd help if you looked closer first.  This isn't really a problem
with the gnome-terminal module.  I'm fairly certain that not where the
performance problems lie.  As pointed out elsewhere in this thread,
there's many issues at the vte level that could speed up things
(Soeren has a patch he submitted months ago that gives him a speedup
factor of more than 2 or so; others have a variety of patches as well
to improve things, some of which are over a year old that have never
been reviewed), and other issues are at the Render level in X.

Elijah