Re: Opening remote files in GNOME (was Re: Announcing gnomevfs-mount 0.0.1 (very first version).)

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 09:46 +0200, Fernando Herrera wrote:
> Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 01:26:37AM +0200, Carlos Perell�r�escribi�
> >Users don't understand why they are not able to open files from remote
> >locations on non GNOME applications. In fact, I don't know about any
> >GNOME application that it's able to edit a remote file directly.
>
> 		gedit ssh://username myhost com/folder/file.txt
>
> 	works for me :)
not for me.
(gedit-2.8.0 here)

yes, you can OPEN the file, but you can not WRITE to the file.
and imho "that's able to edit a remote file directly", by editing he
means also saving the changes.

seems that gedit only uses gnome-vfs to read, not to write.
the only app that is able to write to remote locations for now is
nautilus.

it's a shame that this was not a priority for gnome devels to make the
base applications
able to write to remote locations.
the simplest kde editor is able to do it btw.

gabor