Re: RFC: Common desktop-wide paths

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 20:26 +0200, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> Today at 15:58, Jamie McCracken wrote:
>
> > Well would you agree if one uploads pictures from a digital camera it
> > should default to putting it in a picture folder?
> >
> > If so then should it not be the same for downloading images?
>
> As I already said—no, it shouldn't.  Pictures I created should be
> there (since it's quite probable I'll be creating my own pictures),
> but any downloaded pictures should go someplace else: for now,
> Downloads.

I understand what you are saying but what Im referring to is the default
setup for novice users. Not everybody will want a music folder on the
desktop for this purpose so yes it must be configurable and yes more
advanced users should be able to configure it to work how they want (if
you want everything in Downloads then thats fine) but splitting up the
downloads makes sense for ordinary users as it alleviates the need to
perform extra file management and often as in Windows Desktop they end
up with one huge folder with everything in it - now thats not very
productive.

Having some sensible (and optional) auto management of these folders
will help them be more organised and efficient even if they are totally
disorganised by nature.

jamie.