Re: RFC: Common desktop-wide paths

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 15:43 +0200, Daniel Poersch wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 23:06:15 +1000
> Tristan Buckmaster <tristan buckmaster gmail com> wrote:

[snip]
> But I'm with you if it comes to this "auto-sorting" mechanism. I think
> this is ugly. It forces the user to know which filetype belongs to which
> directory, this is much to technical, isn't it? And again I want to 'try
> before buy'!

Well would you agree if one uploads pictures from a digital camera it
should default to putting it in a picture folder?

If so then should it not be the same for downloading images?

I am not suggesting that a user would need to know/set individual
folders for every Mime type rather it would be set up by default as
suggested for Pictures, Videos, Documents and Music. If more advanced
users or distros wish to customise further then thats their choice. I
dont think its a good idea to have one massive downloads folder for
everything if we have other desktop folders which are more appropriate.

jamie.