Re: Regarding possible inclusion of gnome-isp-dialer

Hi Danilo,

As it's usual in me, sorry for the late reply...

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 03:31 +0100, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> Hi Zoran,
>
> Yesterday at 3:57, Zoran Rilak wrote:
>
> > my name is Zoran Rilak.  I'm a student at the Faculty of Organizational
> > Sciences in Belgrade.  I have some questions about the possible
> > inclusion of my project into the GNOME Desktop Environment.  First off,
> > I hope this list is the right place to start; if not, please be so kind
> > and redirect me to the proper mailing list.
>
> You might also want to check out gnome-ppp: http://gnome-ppp.org/
>
> FWIW, Vlada (Gnome PPP author) is also Serbian, and it seems
> indicative that anyone around here starts with developing PPP dialer
> software :)
>
> > 	I've worked for some time on an application called gppp which was
> > heavily based (more like a GTK+ clone than anything else) on kppp; a GTK
> > +-based user-interface for Point-to-Point Protocol Daemon (pppd).
>
> Ok, this is different from gnome-ppp in that gnome-ppp is actually
> wvdial frontend, but it provides the same functionality.  This would,
> of course, be considered a plus for gnome-isp-dialer, since it would not
> require installing wvdial (and that's currently the biggest complaint
> people have about gnome-ppp).
>
> Yet, as Murray said, it belongs in Gnome System Tools actually, and
> it would be best if it integrated with the system's PPP configuration
> (i.e. I'd want to still be able to use "pppd call" on a system which
> otherwise configures PPP that way).

Yes, I think so, in fact I've been making lots of efforts lately in
improving the network-tool, yesterday I began rewritting some of the
modem stuff, and also planned to integrate the modem lights applet with
it (I've even got a bug to do so :). So any help is welcome with this

> > 	Lately I've dropped work on gppp and started aiming towards complete
> > GNOME compliance.  The project is still far from being completed
>
> I think something can be proposed for Gnome inclusion only if it has
> already been developed.  There's always a lot of work to do (i18n,
> a11y, docs) even after the proposal, so it'd be hard to debate on the
> inclusion of software which is not yet near completion.
>
> > The list of ISP's is maintained via a separate application, gnome-isp-
> > list, which will provide:
>
> This definitely belongs in Gnome System Tools.  FWIW, I think GST
> already provides something like that, which also cooperates with
> system PPP settings.
>
> >     I was wondering what was the general idea about the need for such an
> > application in GNOME.
>
> That kind of application is highly desireable: easy connection to
> Internet is one of primary goals of desktop that just works, and such
> application is one step ahead for many users.
>
> Targetting pppd directly is a big plus (IMO), but I'd say that
> reusing Gnome System Tools (which are officially part of Gnome since
> 2.8) is very much needed.
>
> I'm certain Carlos Garnacho (GST maintainer) would be happy to help
> with making use of GST facilities.  Also, I think a lot of work has
> already gone into gnome-ppp (UI, usability reviews, translation) that
> it would be a shame if it was wasted.

	Regards