Re: Proposing clipboard-daemon for Gnome 2.10

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 05:20:03PM +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:14:27 +0100, Hongli Lai wrote:
> > You should search the archives. From what I understand, the conclusion
> > was that just a clipboard manager that keeps the content in memory is
> > not acceptable. They want a completely new clipboard design, that can
> > deal with things like copying 1 gigabyte of video data.
>
> Which IMHO is crazy ... the new ass-kicking clipboard design is
> apparently still fictional, and having a clipboard cache would make the
> behaviour of the X clipboard a lot less confusing. It doesn't have to be
> perfect and it could opt out of things that are too big, but in this case
> I think something is better than nothing.

It's not fictional Andersca has been doing some work on it
    http://www.gtk.org/plan/meetings/20041005.txt

The problem with current clipboard managers is that there is no way
to 'opt out'.  Gnumeric hits this problem failrly hard because it
supports so many export formats and it's data can easily get large.
    eg
	it's common to move data around by cut-n-pasting entire
	columns.  Transforming N x 10,000 into
	    : gnumeric xml
	    : csv
	    : OOo xml
	    : html
	    ... (and there are lots of others)
	takes lots of memory, and time.

The goal of the proposal is the only do that work when the
application is exiting.