Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 17:53 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 15:39 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Maw, 2004-11-30 at 15:41, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > port which is then published using mDNS. The webdav server just
> > > exports the ~/Public folder. This means it will show up in the network
> > > location in Nautilus, or in any mDNS browser that looks
> > > for webdav servers.
> >
> > > The server is started when you enable file sharing in the file sharing
> > > properties dialog, or when you log in and file sharing is enabled.
> >
> > I'm opposed to it unless it's "zero configuration" includes setting the
> > name of that single directory. Without that it can't be
> > internationalised properly. I don't care if the path is hardcoded but
> > translatable or the path is proposed in the simple on/off dialog.
>
> This is an issue outside of the inclusion of gnome-user-share. We
> already have several folders of this type, such as "Templates", and
> "Desktop". Everyone involved in this thinks that the right way to i18n
> these is to keep the english name on-disk and then rename it in the user
> interface. This could be done with something like .directory files, or
> in some other way (.directory files have some weaknesses). This has been
> planned for quite some time, but has never quite gotten to the top of
> the priority queue.
>
> Doing it this way makes it easy for e.g. simple scripts to easily work
> in a i18n environment, and makes sure you never get the (common on
> windows) situation of having both a local name for the folder and the
> English one (because some app didn't use the right API).

BTW, OSX does this too:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFileSystem/Concepts/DisplayNames.html

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an ungodly shark-wrestling sorceror moving from town to town, helping
folk in trouble. She's a mistrustful blonde traffic cop with a knack for
trouble. They fight crime!