Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

On Maw, 2004-11-30 at 15:41, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> port which is then published using mDNS. The webdav server just
> exports the ~/Public folder. This means it will show up in the network
> location in Nautilus, or in any mDNS browser that looks
> for webdav servers.

> The server is started when you enable file sharing in the file sharing
> properties dialog, or when you log in and file sharing is enabled.

I'm opposed to it unless it's "zero configuration" includes setting the
name of that single directory. Without that it can't be
internationalised properly. I don't care if the path is hardcoded but
translatable or the path is proposed in the simple on/off dialog.

> This really has to be in the desktop module, because it needs some
> integration with gnome-session to autostart the filesharing daemon
> when you log in. Perhaps we could call it an optional part of the
> desktop?

Does it require apache to build and to start the tools ?
Can it be shipped so that if no supported DAV server (ie apache for now)
is found it doesn't start up and trying to activate it produces a dialog
explains that apache is not available ? (which I'm sure vendors can/will
one day extend
to include "Shall I install it")

Alan