Re: GNOME 2.10 module proposal: libnotify and notification-daemon

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 16:37 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 13:13 +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > I wrote a little proposal about this at
> > http://rodrigo.gnome-db.org/news.php?8/November/2004
> >
> > Is anyone interested on having this?
>
> Yep.
>
> In fact I think we should go further: replace session management with
> desktop extensions. Apps are one kind of extension. There's a flag in
> gconf for whether to start each extension (or a list in gconf of
> extensions to start).

This all sounds very reasonable to me, as long as we aren't talking
about putting applications and services in some mega-daemon process.

So how does this map to D-BUS activation and services?  You mentioned
you thought everything should be lifecycle-managed by D-BUS, which makes
sense to me.  But is it just assumed that desktop extensions will
connect to the session bus and acquire some service?  Should desktop
extensions install D-BUS service files?  If so, what happens if it's not
in the GConf list, but another application wants to activate it?