Re: GNOME 2.10 module proposal: libnotify and notification-daemon

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 13:13 +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> I wrote a little proposal about this at
> http://rodrigo.gnome-db.org/news.php?8/November/2004
>
> Is anyone interested on having this?

Yep.

In fact I think we should go further: replace session management with
desktop extensions. Apps are one kind of extension. There's a flag in
gconf for whether to start each extension (or a list in gconf of
extensions to start).

This means all apps have to be single-instance to be "session
managed" (autostarted as extensions). I think that's fine. If someone
really wants a process per window like xterm, they can write a little
single-instance wrapper thing that launches said processes. Otherwise an
app should just have "new window" functionality to create new windows,
if multiple windows make sense.

Each single-instance app is then responsible for recording its own state
(window positions, etc.) - this doesn't quite work right for window
positions and other WM state, but could be made to work right using an
approach like
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2002-May/msg00030.html

Much, much simpler than the current session management mess and a better
user experience too.

Havoc