Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 21:44 +0900, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> Just following here, trying to see if there is a decision to be made...
>
> 0. Everyone seems to agree that GNOME will only depend on the GStreamer
> API, and never the polypaudio API.
>
> 1. Replace ESound with polypaudio immediately in the 2.10 desktop
> release, since I am lead to believe that there is a compatibility layer
> that makes this transparent.
>
> This has the benefit of not breaking ABI compatibility, minimizing the
> work required to refactor libgnome, and giving Lennart's code a wider
> exposure so he can get good bug reports and sell polypaudio to the
> distros.
>
> 2. Purge libgnome of ESound dependant stuff for 2.11. Retire polypaudio
> from the desktop release, and leave the audio solution totally up to the
> distro (while we depend only on GStreamer).

> What do you think?

Works well, I'll look at getting polyp into Gentoo proper this weekend,
hopefully it won't be too hard to get it stabilized and tested in time
for 2.10 release.

From rom a distro side, I like it.

A minor request though,  can somone -please- patch gnome-session so its
actually buildable without esound?  *cough*
;)

//Spider

--
begin  .signature