Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

[context is: dmix and polypaudio, from the gnome desktop-devel-list, see
lists.gnome.org]

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 03:06:48 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> You're right. The mixing is done in the client. However this is no
> win. The client select()s on a unix socket for being notified when to
> write the audio data to the shared memory segment. i.e. the extra
> context switch is always there.

OK. I didn't get that far ;) I'll take your word for it. What is the
semaphore used for then?

> The source of that stuff is really badly documented.

You're too polite. I'd say it's not documented at all, though the code
isn't hard to read.

I got curious and CCd Jaroslav, maybe he can explain how dmix is better
than a sound server (if it really is). Presumably he must think this
otherwise why implement it?

thanks -mike